Episode-122- Save Money Without Cable
Is your cable bill worth it? Ours was not and it was easy to find out why. The less I save and the more I spend on fleeting sources of shitty entertainment the longer I must wait until I can retire. When we moved to our home 3 ½ years we cut the cable service and have not regretted trading in 130 channels of shit on the TV for $4,000 in savings…
Cutting the cable service alone is going to allow me to years earlier than expected. For every $100 per month that I can save from current living expenses or bring in from other income sources I can decrease my retirement age by 5 years.
If your true goal is to save money and actually cancel cable or satellite service then write that down before you call the company and stick to it when communicating with the retentions specialists. They will pretend to understand and offer empathy only to lure your into a temporary reprieve with 3 months of a special service or they’ll try to bundle together some life draining package for you. Stay strong and don’t give up. Keep your sentences short and polite and say Thank you but I am only interested in cancelling the service.
Canceling your cable television may seem scary but that’s what they want you to think. How else are you possibly going to get bombarded with useless advertisements. It’s not normal to cancel cable service and that’s okay. Be tough and think about the $1,200 per year you will be saving.
How to cancel your cable/satellite TV service
- Practice not turning on the TV
- Keep a TV journal for a month. See if the same shows or good substitutes can be found on the web.
- Learn about aerial antennas
- Call your cable or satellite provider and tell them you want to cancel the service.
- Be tough
6 Question Pre Purchase program
- Do I need it?
- Does anything I have fill the role now?
- How long will it last?
- What will it do for me and my family?
- How long must I work to pay for it?
- If I don’t buy it what difference will it really make?
- The Story Of Stuff
- Episode-16 – Retire Early, Regain the Freedom of Financial Independence
- Episode-41- Early Retirement System – Step 1 Save More Money
- Drop the cell phone plan (adjustable for any monthly payment plan). Formula ($X * 300)/$Y = Number of months retirement is delayed. X= monthly cost, Y = monthly savings for retirement
- Sustainable Withdrawal Rates From Your Retirement Portfolio
- The Three Stooges on Crackle.com
- Ask yourself the 6 questions before any purchase over $50
- Monitor your budget with our budget worksheet
- Make a one year wish list and add up the items before making purchases
- TheSurvivalPodcast.com – Episode-278- Preparedness As A Retirement Plan
- TSP Common Sense Versus Consumerism
- TSP Episode-766- Jacob Lund Fisker from Early Retirement Extreme
- Early Retirement Extreme