The Varroa Counts Mite drop count in both hives is extremely low and the survival of the honey bees at least through the winter seems possible. It has been one week since I greased the board and when I went to check today there were only a couple of mites on Hive A’s board and none to note for Hive B. Although I presented some up close up photos and video for Episode-137 there does not seem to be a problem with Varroa at this time. I went out this afternoon and took advantage of the warm weather to lay on some extra fondant to ensure the honey bees have enough food.
Both hives have lots of honey and there was some activity in the frames. At least while these three wonderfully warm days last the bees have not given up on foraging and taking cleansing flights. I’ll leave them alone for a while as that seems the best course of action. There’s still lots of other activity I am doing as I lay out the food forest in my backyard and the next couple of episodes will show the great strides I am undertaking to make what I imagine a reality. Stay tuned.
Other Bee Episodes
- Episode-128- Honey Bee Hive Observations
- Episode-124- Honey Bees Gone Wild – No Treatment, Clean Wax, Natural Cell
- Episode 116 – Bee A Beekeeper With Sustainable Beekeeping Practices
- Episode-100- Ten Best Websites For Making a Better Life – Part 1
- Episode-113- Keep Ants Out Of The Beehive
- Episode-110- Honey Harvest And How To Get Honey From A Bee Hive – Part 2
- Episode-106- Honey Harvest And How To Get Honey From A Bee Hive – Part 1
- Episode-99- ToDoList: Honey Bee Hive-A Inspection May 12, 2012
- Episode-88- The Honey Bees In My Back Yard Just Got New Neighbors
- Video of last year’s first honey bee package installation
- Episode-44- Beekeeping For Dummies Book Review
- Episode-52- Keep Honey Bees Healthy In Winter
- Episode-59- Checkerboard Honey Bee Hive For Swarm Prevention and Growth
- Episode-66- Spring Into Action With Honeybees, Gardening And Cherry Blossoms
- Episode-73- To Bee Or Not Two Bees
- Episode-80- Honey Bee Honey Bee What Is Up With Thee
- Episode-94- Inspect Honey Bee Hive For Queen And Pests 4-28-12
- Other bees in your area
- The Barefoot Beekeeper
- View Warre hives (also Warré hives) information and resources including the history, advantages and ideal placement of this minimalistic beehive.